In honor of Thanksgiving tomorrow, I would like to stop and momentarily reflect on the top 5 things that I am thankful for.
Number 5: Southern California weather
Only in southern California can you walk around comfortably in shorts and a t-shirt in late November because it happens to be 75 degrees and sunny outside. Who wouldn’t love that? Only crazy people who love the cold. I am thankful for the sun.
Number 4: My church family!
Since I started at NewHeart as an intern a little over a year ago, I have been embraced and welcomed into this church family. Not to discount the other churches I’ve been in over the past few years, but at NewHeart, I truly feel at home. A lot of the people have become an extension of my own family… and I have become part of theirs as they have welcomed me into their homes and their lives as well. Sometimes, it can be a daunting task to fit into a church body without a built-in family structure to accompany you, but it has been an awesome experience to integrate into this awesome family!
Number 3: My amazing friends!
I have never been more thankful for my friends than I have been over this past year. There have been so many people that have stood by me, talked me through situations and big decisions, people that I have been able to celebrate with and mourn with, people that I’ve traveled with and have made music with… it’s been an amazing year thus far and I am so blessed to have so many awesome people in my life. YOU are AMAZING! Thanks for being great!
Number 2: Mi familia!
Family has always been something that has been front and center in my life, but I never really realized how much I took my family for granted until this year when both of my grandparents passed away. Something that had always come so easy became much more difficult. But I am thankful that we have walked through a very rough year together and slowly starting to see the other side. I am also thankful for the traditions and the legacies that my grandparents left, I’ve found that it is because of them that our family is truly great… let’s hope we can hold onto that in the years to come!
And finally, [drumroll please!]
The number 1 thing that I am the most grateful for: MY LIFE!
It is probably not the life that I would have dreamed up for myself, but I’m enjoying every second of it! My life may not be perfect or what I ever expected, but I would not trade any of it for the whole world! I am so thankful for the opportunities that I’ve had in the past year and for the potential for the future. I’m thankful that I have been blessed with good health, a great family, fantastic friends, awesome colleagues, a host of other things I can’t even begin to think of.
So as I approach this holiday of being grateful and giving thanks, I stop and I thank God and my family and friends for making every day worth living, and even if I don’t always realize it or don’t always express it, I am truly thankful. Blessings!
Top 20 other things from 2009 that I am thankful for that didn’t make it on the list (not really in any order):
22. Shurie, Charles, Jake & Blaze – for being my adopted family
21. Paul Kuzma – for being the coolest pastor/ boss ever!
20. Glee – for being a fantastically written show that includes great music!
19. Lisa Kinney’s brownies – because they’re awesome!
18. the years I worked at Universal – even though they’re over, they were enjoyable (for the most part) and I met lots of cool people (for the most part)
17. My youth group kids – when they’re not running around and screaming, they’re pretty cool!
16. Skype – so I can talk to my former roomie Jess when she’s in Germany… then I don’t miss her as much…
15. All the weddings I’ve attended – it’s nice to celebrate other people’s happy moments 🙂
14. Kids camp worship team – because they’re some of the best young musicians I’ve had the opportunity to work with.
13. my bedroom – it’s not that I didn’t love having roommates in college, but it’s nice to have space.
12. my cell phone – it keeps me connected to the rest of the world…
11. APU – for letting me graduate
10. Disneyland – because it’s the happiest place on earth 🙂
9. David DuBransky – for being awesome… and our random trips (mostly to Disneyland)
8. my trip to Hawaii – which is directly related to #11 since I wouldn’t have gone if I hadn’t graduated!
7. Facebook – for giving me something to do when I’m waiting for the church website to finish updating or I’m waiting for people to show up to a rehearsal
6. NewHeart worship team members – for being willing to share your talents with others!
5. Katie Miller – for showing me the ropes at NewHeart and hosting our Glee parties! And being all-around fantastic!
4. Shane Roberts – for (almost) always answering your phone when I call, knowing that I’m (more-than-likely) going to ask a favor of you
3. Chipotle – for three reasons: 1. because it’s great food, 2. because it has now become a default place when I go out to eat with friends and 3. because just the thought of Chipotle got Sherwin and I through many long shifts at the Mummy as well as mediocre lunches at Dine-O
2. Lisa Kinney – for being the coolest person I know… who bakes brownies, roadtrips with me, goes to see musicals (multiple times), gets me hooked on awesome shows and watches stupid movies with methat we get made fun of for (but we love regardless)!
1. all things chocolate – because chocolate makes the world better